More Health: The Cost of Being Healthy

I wanted to address the cost of being healthy versus the cost of not being healthy. When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, many thoughts went through my head. Would I need to take medication? Have I signed myself up for a lifetime of insulin injections? Do I need to sign up for a gym? Would I need special food? How much is this all going to cost?

Let's be real here. Being healthy cost money right? When you visit the doctor, it will cost you money. Then when the doctor prescribes this pill or that pill, it will cost you more money. This is all aside from the money you already pay out for health insurance. Of course not to mention all the tests you need to take to make sure you are healthy (or not healthy). Pretty soon you figure out how much it is going to cost you to stay healthy and maybe it makes you feel ill.

But think about it this way. If you don't go to the doctor, get sick and land in the hospital, how much will that cost you in the end? The average cost of one day in a hospital can range from about the mid $900 to well over $2,000! Multiply this by the amount of days you stay in the hospital and you might be looking at well over $20,000 for a week if not more with all the tests you need to take while you stay there. But most of us have insurance, so we really wouldn't be paying that much out of pocket but if you have to pay any percentage, it could be daunting!

In all honesty, my motivation for getting healthy wasn't really about the cost at first but fear. I grew up hating needles and anytime I had to get a shot for immunization or otherwise, I would run! Literally I remember the nurse holding on to my arm as I tried to run away! That's why when I got diagnosed as having diabetes, I said in no way was I injecting myself everyday if I could help it.

First I had to make sure I eating the right foods. This actually didn't cost that much. A few changes here and there such as cutting out white rice, bread, sweets, etc. actually saved money. I spent that money on more vegetables and leaner meats (mostly chicken breasts). In the end, the cost was about the same if not cheaper as I gave up drinking diet soda for good and ate out only once a week or none.

Some other food related costs were tools needed in the kitchen. For example, we purchased a food scale similar to this model:


It is a Smart Weigh Digital Food & Kitchen Scale sold on Amazon.com. The price is pretty reasonable costing $23.99 right now. However, there are many scales available, so you can find one that fits your budget. Just make sure to get a scale which can do at least three things: weigh in grams, weigh in ounces and able to do a tare (subtract the weight of an empty container).

If you don't own a set of measuring cups or measuring spoons, that would be another cost you might need to incur though generally those items can be purchased for less than $5 each or even at a $1 store.

Another tool you might consider purchasing but not necessary is a spiralizer. If you haven't heard of these, again Amazon.com sells many different options. Here is a spiralizer sold on Amazon:


This is a Premium Vegetable Spiralizer which costs about $14 and includes some additional items such as cleaner, recipe book and a bag. I have similar model but have not used it yet. This will allow you the ability to "noodle" vegetables such as zucchini, carrots and even broccoli! These noodled vegetables would take the place of pasta in dishes such as spaghetti.

I'm sure there are many other tools for the kitchen which can help you such as a steamer, oil sprayer, etc. I think it just depends upon what works for you and what you can afford. You don't have to purchase many of these items because there are other ways to measure, cut or prepare your food.

As for exercise, I explored some options such as joining an athletic club or even the YMCA. In the end, I decided free exercise was the best and started walking. It didn't cost me a thing as I already owned some good running shoes (from a failed attempt at Couch to 5K a couple of years ago) and exercise clothing. I didn't go overboard or crazy but tried to walk a few times a week though it is not the recommended amount of 150 minutes. I'll get there someday, I know.

As with any diet or change in eating habits, make sure to check with your doctor. It is also a good idea to find out if you are restricted from any type of exercise. In the end, the results can and will change your life.

* Any products or links in this post are not sponsored. I have not received any compensation for mentioning them, and all opinions are my own. Please be aware some links may be referrals. You are not obligated to click the links and I encourage you to search Amazon or other websites on your own for products.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Life: Getting Back On Track

Why?

Product Reviews: Dove Cool Essentials Dry Spray (Influenster Target VoxBox)